Friday 29 January 2010

Not quite a seal....Elephant version 2 Wip



I know I said I was drawing a seal next, and I definitely intend to soon, as it is a nice photo. However, I had one last look through my photos, and came across one that my Dad took when he was in South Africa. It grabbed my attention as its so different to my last drawing which was very gentle. The elephant has so much presence, and the light is fantastic. I previously mentioned I wanted a subject to test out my new pastelmat paper. The makers of this paper claim that multiple layers of pastel can be laid down without fixative (desirable as fixative dulls down some of the vibrancy of pastels). Well I think with the texture of the elephants skin, combined with the shadows from the bush on it, plus the bush itself, should do that! One thing I've noticed from today boy does it eat away your pastels. I used hard conte to block in a rough composition today, half my conte rapidily disappeared.

No comments: