Saturday, 7 November 2009

Done it, I think!

This has been such a difficult but rewarding painting. I'm really pleased with the end result, I never thought it was going to turn out so well. The more I use gouache the more I like it. It can be very annoying that it drys out so fast, but its so forgiving when you make mistakes. I'm finding it works really well with watercolour pencils, which I'm using to create more subtle shades and tonal values.

Friday, 6 November 2009

I've sorted the stripes, now wrinkles...

Yes I'm moaning again! I am enjoying this now as I can be more loose. But just as I'd got to grips with the stripes, I now get wrinkles on top! I've tinkered with some pastel today mainly on the mane (no pun intended).

Thursday, 5 November 2009

Starting to think I will finish this!

Again today I was distracted by the zebras head, something about the general skull shape didn't look right. This time I believe its time well spent, and I felt happy to move on to the mane and body. I've started to use some watercolour pencils with the gouache they are working well to achieve some texture and shadows.

Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Spot the difference!

Believe it or not, I spent another 2 hours on this today. Tomorrow I am going to do the mane and body. I need to see how the head works as a complete zebra, I think I'm getting too focused on the detail rather than seeing this as a whole. I think its a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees.

Tuesday, 3 November 2009

This is so differcult to draw!

I think this has to be the most challenging thing I've ever tried to draw. I've never so much as drawn a horse before. The stripes constantly confuse the eye, I really have struggled. A while ago I painted a peacock with its tail fanned out, that was simple compared to this. I still haven't got any of the softness of the coat. I intend to finish this, I don't tend to quit easily!

Sunday, 1 November 2009

Take a deep breath and paint...

Zebra wip 1
After putting it off for a few days, I got started on my latest gouache painting. I decided to use ochre for the under painting. Getting some paint on to this has made it simpler for my eye, so I'm beginning to be able to look at it without going crossed-eyed. Its really hard to see beyond the stripes. The stripes are obviously very important in giving the zebra contours, but I don't want to overlook the texture and direction of the fur. My aim is to draw the Zebra so its animated, and strokeable.I'm trying to not get over stylised, which is tempting when you've a strong pattern such as these stripes. Anyway less waffle, more painting...