I've realised that the deer in the background are wrong. When I took the first photo I realised they looked mad, then spotted the proportions were out. The second photo shows my rough corrections. It's late so I'll neaten it up tomorrow with fresh eyes!
The deer on the right was wrong, the snout was too long, head too large and ears therefore too high up. The body on the same deer needed less grass to give it more form, including a longer neck. The top of the body has come down so that the deer on the left has a longer neck too. Tomorrow I will sort this out, got a few hours so hope to be nearly done tomorrow.