Friday, 27 November 2009

Finished my first dog commission


Well this has been one of those paintings that I was unsure what the final result would be. Obviously I knew what the dogs were going to look like that was fixed. I've ended up much closer compositionally to the photo then I'd first intended. I liked my first autumnal wood scene but felt the main emphasis was been taken away from the dogs. As this is a commissioned dog portraiture they obviously needed to take centre stage. I decided that a simplified background with darker tones would bring out the dogs. The bridge was also light in tone, I just felt the dogs were being lost. Anyways I'm finished, here the original snap shot again.

4 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

Congratulations Sarah, a job well done! I like what you did to the background and I aggree the darker greens make the dogs stand out more. The other background made the portrait too uniform in color.

Sjamesportraiture said...

Thanks Colette, I'm pleased I changed it. I'm giving it to the lady that commissioned the painting Tuesday so fingers crossed she likes it too.

Pam Utton said...

beautiful work. I like the way you showed the stages as you went along.

http://pamutton.blogspot.com/

Sjamesportraiture said...

Thanks Pam, I tend to post daily stages for my own record. I like to look back on my work. I find it great when I've had a slow day, as sometimes you can't see the progress until you compare the previous day's work.